Safety Assessment faq

If you want to make and sell your own cosmetics, a Cosmetic Safety Assessment Report (CPSR) is a legal requirement. Our CPSRs have been created specifically for small-scale producers.


Why can I no longer buy assessments on your website? We have decided to change the way we work with assessments, instead you purchase a £25 + VAT Admin Assessment Deposit Fee, then submit your recipes and documents to us for a full quote. We then check them for safety and suggest any changes you need to make. This fee is then deducted from the quote, but in the event you don't go ahead with the quote, the fee will not be refunded. You can purchase this fee here.

How do I buy an assessment? We need to see your full recipes first before quoting you. We then check them for safety, suggest any changes you need to make, and make sure you have the correct documentation before sending you your full quote. A non-refundable deposit of £25 + VAT is payable before we do this, however this will be deducted from the cost of your assessment quote. You can purchase this fee here. You will need to download and fill out a CPSR Form, which can be found here. Make sure you send us all the correct documents too. There is a lot of info on the forms which should answer any questions you have, but do check out our 'Do's and Don'ts of Submitting for Assessment' article too. The email address to send your information to is Once we have checked your recipes, you have sent us all the correct documents and you have made any necessary changes, we will invoice you for payment.

How Much Are Assessments? It depends how many recipes you have; please see this link and scroll down to 'Typical Pricing'. 

How do the assessment packages work? With our assessment report packages, you can certify one single base recipe and you can have any number of variations on your base recipe. Prices are tiered accordingly, see here. Variations mean different scents / colours / herbs. You can have up to 10 different ingredients in your base recipe and up to 5 extra ingredients in each variation. 

Are your assessments valid outside the UK? They can be - if you live outside the UK, there is a surcharge.

How long will the assessment take? After we have checked your recipes with the assessor, got all the necessary documents from you and you have made any required changes, we will then invoice you for payment. Once you have paid for your assessment, we aim to complete your assessment within 7 weeks.

Do I get the base recipe included automatically in the assessment? No, not unless you stipulate it as a separate variant.

Can I buy an assessment package and add some variants now, some later? Our packages entitle you to 8, 16, 24 or 32 different variations on your base recipe. You don't have to submit all your variants at once, you can submit any remaining variants up to 6 months after your report has been returned to you. However, this will incur a £30 + VAT admin fee. After 6 months, they will be charged at the additional variant rate of £45 + VAT for 1, or £75 + VAT for 2, or £95 + VAT for 3. Please note no additions will be accepted at all after 12 months have passed since your original report was returned to you.

Can I add variants onto my package? Additional variants cost £45 + VAT for 1, £75 + VAT for 2, or £95 + VAT for 3. Please note that you need to submit these within 12 months of receiving your original report.

Do you do a package for creams? Or any other product not mentioned on your website? Yes we can assess pretty much anything apart from Tattoo balms, or any products which look like food such as donut soaps, cupcake bath bombs etc. Also we can't assess anything too 'medicinal' such as muscle balm, eczema balm etc. You can make a general body balm in this instance but not one specifically designed to 'cure' any ailment.

Do you do a package for perfumes / fragrance products? Perfume type products can go onto a report package, but due to the additional work that goes into them, the prices are higher than that of standard packages, so perfumes/fragrance products need bespoke quotes - these quotes vary a lot, so we cannot give an estimate like we can for other recipes. Please submit requesting a quote so we can speak to the team about it for you.

Can I use 2 types of soap base in one assessment? With Melt and Pour (M&P) soaps, you have one main base. This base must be used in every variant on the report. Adding a second base will incur an admin fee and can only be used with the main base, the second base cannot be used alone.

Do I need a separate assessment for frosting on my bath bomb/soap? Frosting can be included as part of the basic recipe, providing it is on all variants, otherwise there is an admin fee.


How do I submit my recipes? You will need to download our submission form to submit your recipes to us - you can do so on our CPSR Forms page here. There is a lot of info on the forms which should answer any questions you have, but do check out our 'Do's and Don'ts of Submitting for Assessment' article too.

We also will need some technical documents from you - CLICK HERE FOR THE DOCUMENTS WE NEED, which you should request from your supplier (if not on their website) -

Do you need me to send in my products? No, we don't need to physically see your products to produce your safety assessment. You just need to download our submission form and send us all the relevant documents for your ingredients - see above.

Will I fail the assessment? We check over all recipes with our assessor Scott Grainger first, and if there are any problems, we simply advise you of the changes that should be made so you can re-submit. This part of the process is entirely free.


Will I get help with the other legalities of selling cosmetic products, i.e. my PIF, the CPNP (portal), labelling guidance? Yes, once you have purchased an assessment you can request info sheets from us which we can send you for free. However, we cannot offer any more guidance thereafter, and it is your responsibility to make sure you are fully compliant (as per the help sheets), not ours.

Will I need any additional testing for my products, such as challenge testing / stability testing? For most single phase products, i.e. balms, oils, scrubs etc. you won't need to get any additional testing done as stability is assumed for these products. The only products which need challenge testing are emulsions such creams, or any product which combines oil and water, as the efficacy of the preservative needs to be tested. However our assessor will advise on if this is needed once he sees your recipes. If you're making your own ingredients such as honey / beeswax etc you might need a TVC test. See below for more info.


Can I use my own honey / beeswax? You can generally add up to 5-10% of commercial honey in lip balms, but if you're wanting to use your own honey or beeswax, a TVC test will need to be carried out for each batch. This is just for lip balms and other leave-on products. For CP/HP soap, there are no additional tests needed when using your own.

Can I make my products look and smell like food (i.e. donuts, cupcakes, slice of pie etc) No unfortunately not; even if you're putting warnings on the labels; vulnerable people don't read warnings on the labels and there is a real danger of them ingesting them.

Can I make multiple shapes of bath bombs / multiple designs of soaps under the same variant? Yes you can; as long as it’s the same recipe / ingredients and you write ‘no food imitation’ on the variant description. Different shaped Bath bombs need to say “solid / dust, no food imitation” alongside each variant description 

Can I use wild herbs? You can't forage for your own herbs due to pesticides etc. You must use home grown or commercially purchased dry herbs for CP soaps. Or just commercially purchased for all other products. 

How much vitamin E can I add to lip balms? You can add up to 2% Vitamin E to lip balms.

Can I add botanicals to lip balms? Not without additional TVC testing for each batch.

Can I use CBD in lip balms / other products? CBD isolate is not allowed in lip balms due to controversies and uncertainties within some EU regulations. We assess according to EU regulations. The reports must be in line with all EU countries. While CBD isolates are legal in the UK, they can only be inhaled or vaped. They cannot be ingested as a powder or used with a carrier oil. This makes the usage of CBD isolate oils illegal. Only full-spectrum CBD Oil that contains less than 0.2% of THC is legal for consumption. Generally we say 1% maximum – and a cosmetic function must be given – i.e. moisturising, etc.